Hidden Secrets: Journey to the Center of Bellarmine

Do you think you know everything about Bellarmine? It’s easy to think so; considering its physical aspects, it seems like any other high school. However, on closer inspection, it holds some secrets of its own. The newspaper staff has uncovered one of these ‘secrets’.

You may not realize it, but beneath your feet lie a series of tunnels throughout the main campus. These tunnels were first designed to transfer heat from the boiler room to the other buildings.

You may be asking yourself, “Where is this boiler room”? It’s located in the brick building by the library. Inside, lies the boiler that heats almost the entire school campus. From there, the tunnels go out to Orton, the Administration building, the library building, and Snyder. These tunnels allow easy travel for the pipes to each building.

While cramped, the tunnels offer just enough room for the pipes to be more easily repaired. These tunnels are humid, narrow, and dark. While a full grown man can just manage to crawl through them, it is ideally the perfect size for a small child or a munchkin from the Wizard of Oz.

Accompanied with the athletic equipment manager, Mr. Seeberger, we decided to venture into these abysmal tunnels and check them out for ourselves. The further we went, the darker and smaller the tunnels became. It was much akin to a spooky hallway in a horror movie. Mr. Seeberger held up a flashlight for us; however, the tunnel went on for so long that the light began to wane and we were forced to turn. We ended up approximately under the library building.

These tunnels are very useful heat to us when we are freezing to death in down stairs Snyder or boil us in upstairs A-building. They are an unbeknownst hero on campus. Although these seem like a lure for adventure and thrill, the general public is not allowed to venture through these tunnels unaccompanied, and for good reason. Who knows what else may lurk in their depths?