The student news site of Bellarmine Preparatory School

The Bellarmine Prep Lion

The Bellarmine Prep Lion

The Bellarmine Prep Lion

Adopt-A-Family: the spirit of giving

Wrapped gifts overflow from classrooms, lists of Christmas foods fill whiteboards, and Adopt-A-Family (AAF) time arrives. For over 20 years, since 1991, Bellarmine has worked with local agencies to find families in need and provide them with a truly special Christmas. Sophomore Kailey Dubinsky says, “The holidays are all about giving. Adopt-A-Family is one of the ways Bellarmine gives to the rest of the community every Christmas season.”

The school website says, “This year, 50 families have been adopted. Through the Adopt-A-Family Program, volunteers provide Christmas day meals, a stocked cupboard, Christmas gifts and clothing for the families. The theme is to celebrate with others, not for them, therefore living out the Jesuit mission and honoring everyone’s invisible talents and challenges.”

Adopt-A-Family coordinators Malia Bernards and Julie Hiles assign a family to each Community Period, and the CPs take it from there. Students split up into committees—food and gift—or divide themselves into groups specific to each member of the family. They buy decorations, presents, and even Christmas trees for the families. Then, on Dec. 18th, the CPs drive to the family’s home and deliver all the items.

While the families are grateful for the gifts, the students, too, are grateful for the opportunity to give. Adopt-A-Family has become an integral Christmas tradition at Bellarmine, and many students consider it one of their favorite activities during the holiday season. Junior, Parker Durr says, “Adopt-A-Family is an opportunity to show the love of God to people in need  during the Christmas season. We students are able to use our resources to benefit and bless others, which makes it meaningful to both the receive the care as well as the students that provide it.”

Junior, Kelly Tebb says, “Adopt-A-Family truly encompasses the ‘Holiday spirit,’ the spirit of giving and sharing as a community, helping and welcoming all those in need, and learning to accept life’s blessings with a more sincere gratitude.” Adopt-A-Family has always been special, and this year is sure to follow suit.