The student news site of Bellarmine Preparatory School

The Bellarmine Prep Lion

The Bellarmine Prep Lion

The Bellarmine Prep Lion

Behind the scenes of work study

Chandler Smith breathes a sigh of relief as he mops the upstairs of the A Building, knowing he is working hard to help pay for his education. Photo by Sara Cho
As the final bell rings at the end of the day, many students head home or to Starbucks to wind down from the long day of academics. However, for the work study kids, work continues after the final bell has rung.
“It’s manual labor and I don’t always enjoy it,” said junior Chandler Smith. “But, Bellarmine costs a lot of money and I’m trying to help my parents out. I’m willing to make the sacrifice to work 1 hour a day in order to go here.”
Some students, in order to attend Bellarmine, need financial assistance. They can receive help through the financial aid office and get a grant, but they also have another option. They can choose to participate in work study, a program where students work after school for credit toward their tuition.
“It’s not only on your parents to [pay for you to] attend here,” said Chandler. “It [The work study program] builds some character.”
Work study allows students seeking financial aid to pay off tuition and the program helps keep the campus clean. The program offers choices of working during the winter, spring, summer or fall sessions. Most school year sessions last 60 days and the students work for close to $10 an hour. Jobs can vary from working with the custodial staff to assisting the librarian .
Work Study director Judy Torgerson has been running the work study program for 17 years and believes it is a program that can really shape students.
“I have personally witnessed many students learn, grow and mature as workers in this program,” said Torgerson. “Students are given an opportunity to realize there is ‘pride’ and reward in being a contributing employee.”
Students like Chandler are grateful for the program and what each side gets out of it, whether it’s sweeping the upper A Hallway or preparing the lunches in the cafeteria.
“They [the school] are able to provide us with the means to help us attend this school,” said Chandler. “I have built some character through cleaning the school.”
Besides the benefits of payment, the work study students also find ways to squeeze in memories of laughter and comedy.
“One time I unrolled a whole thing of paper towels and it kept rolling all the way down the hallway.” said Chandler.
Senior Malando Redeemer has been participating in work study for four years and has had fond and even funny memories of working with the custodial staff.
“One time in the summer we were buffing the floors and I turned on the machine and it was on full power and it rammed into the wall of Mr. Ellis’ room,” said Redeemer. “To this day, the mark it made is still there.”
Redeemer also enjoys getting to know his supervisor Rob Smith who helps out the students willingly.
“I have learned a lot from him,” Redeemer said. “In my opinion, he’s the best and he works with us to get what we need to get done.”
Supervisor Rob Smith highly respects the kids who choose to dedicate themselves to work study.
“They are always good to work with,” said Smith. “I’ve taught kids a long time. Some kids are so new to it that they didn’t know how to use a vacuum and others were trained.”
Although the balance between work study and academics may seem hard, for the work study kids finding balance isn’t difficult.
“I keep my priorities in check with no distractions,” said Chandler. “Overall I think it’s [work study] a good experience. It’s a good time to think, build character and make friends.”