AstroPaul: head in the stars

Amateur astronomer Paul Gicewicz observes the evening sky and anticipates a night of stargazing. Photo courtesy of Paul Gicewicz

By Matthew Philichi

Junior Paul Gicewicz is not only dedicated to his studies in school on this planet but also to exploring things outside the atmosphere.

A star football and lacrosse player, Gicewicz may seem as though he has little time to be observing such a vast universe.

This is where this guy totally goes above and beyond. After school every weekday, he practices
lacrosse or football. Then he comes home, finishes his homework and delves into his
fascination with the universe.

Whether reading countless articles, books and facts on it or exploring firsthand with his Orion XT 10 telescope, Gicewicz fits the most into his days as he possibly can.

On weekends, even more so. Gicewicz has reported that he stays awake until nearly 4 in the morning observing the night sky.

He said, “Honestly, I never really get bored looking up there. The winter/spring season is the Galaxy season. I am really excited for the summer season because that’s when the nebulas start to come out.”

Gicewicz has a wealth of information on his recent studies and explorations of galaxies M51 M81 M82. He hasn’t been keeping his astronomical observations to himself either.

In addition to his jam-packed schedule,Gicewicz is the President of the Astronomy club here at Bellarmine. Every Friday at 8 p.m., students meet here on campus to observe some of the incredible stars, planets and galaxies
that Gicewicz has been observing.

As a recruited football player, Gicewicz is planning on playing for Harvard University in the coming years while also studying astronomy. As he continues to reach for the stars, his Bellarmine community will be supporting him all the way. Who knows? Maybe one day he will be traveling to the places he is observing now.