The student news site of Bellarmine Preparatory School

The Bellarmine Prep Lion

The Bellarmine Prep Lion

The Bellarmine Prep Lion

Lifelong friends will earn their Eagle Scout Awards on Aug. 30

Eagle Scouts Jesse, Maher and Lane stand proudly on the steps of St. Pat's. Photo courtesy of Anna Jesse
Eagle Scouts Jesse, Maher and Lane stand proudly on the steps of St. Pat’s. Photo courtesy of Walt Burdsall, Scoutmaster Troop 299 Saint Patrick’s Church and Anna Jesse
Andrew Jesse, 16, Sean Lane, 16 and Calvin Maher, 16, students at Bellarmine Preparatory School, have achieved the rank of Eagle Scout, the highest rank in Boy Scouts. This accomplishment represents 5 ½ years of adventure, fun, work and dedication to the Boy Scout program of Saint Patrick’s Church Troop 299.

The boys have been together since the fall of 2002 when they started pre-K at Saint Patrick’s Catholic School. During the process of satisfying the requirement for the Eagle rank, the boys have each performed 70 hours of community service, provided service and leadership for their troop and each camped over 45 nights. Jesse hiked 166 miles, Lane 16 miles and Maher 87 miles.

In addition to the traditional outdoor skills learned in Boy Scouts, the boys have a host of 21 plus merit badges they have earned. All three boys completed an Eagle project. Jesse built a track and field booth for Bellarmine Preparatory School. Lane redesigned and reconstructed the Horse Shoe Pitts at YMCA’s Camp Seymour and Maher added playground enhancements for the Pre-K playground at St. Pat’s by constructing easels, building balance beams, filling the sandbox, painting hopscotch and ball targets and decorating wooden toy boats. The boys each developed a plan, solicited donations and organized & led volunteers to complete their projects.

Jesse, Lane and Maher will be formally presented the Eagle Scout award at a Court of Honor ceremony in Saint Patrick’s Church on Aug. 30.