The Orton Hall ghost

Some people might call it a ghost, others may call it a spirit, but either way there is some sort of presence roaming around Orton Hall. With the start of the new school year, many rooms needed to be cleaned out for the availability of more space. Inside the women’s bathroom in Orton Hall, behind a metal mesh wall, is a small room built for holding files.

Many of the office ladies always sensed that there was a spirit living there due to a slamming door behind people entering the bathroom. Mary Graves, whose office is next to this mysterious bathroom, said, “We seemed to have stirred up the spirit ever since we went inside the room and reorganized the files.”

Soon after the clean out, Graves was sitting in her office and looked up from her computer and saw a black, foggy head traveling down the main hallway in Orton Hall. Because Orton Hall used to be an entire living quarters for Jesuits, people believe this spirit could be the spirit of a priest that passed away a long ago.

Although this spirit never scares anyone, the sense that it is disturbed gives an eeriness to the Orton Hall building. After the sighting of the black, foggy head, the ladies in the office requested a priest to come and bless the room. Following the blessing, the ghost seemed to have settled down and relaxed because it has yet to be seen or heard of since.