The student news site of Bellarmine Preparatory School

The Bellarmine Prep Lion

The Bellarmine Prep Lion

The Bellarmine Prep Lion

Music program cultivates unity

Photo courtesy of Jeanne Hanigan
Photo courtesy of Jeanne Hanigan

By Martin Pujeda

With wins such as the volleyball team’s recent State victory, sports can sometimes take the spotlight away from the other programs that help make Bellarmine so great and diverse. The overshadowed and well-deserving music program brings students together through a shared passion for music and hard work.

“The choir is like a family,” said senior Sydney Balmelli, “and we work really hard to make our music beautiful so everyone can enjoy it.” A student in Vocal Ensemble, Balmelli has been singing for Bellarmine since freshman year.
Wesley Wigboldy, also a senior on Vocal Ensemble said, “I’ve been singing in choirs all my life and Vocal Ensemble is a continuation of my passion for what I like to do. I think we’re going to do a lot better this year than we have in the past. We have a better group of people, more focused, more dedicated, so hopefully we win or at least place in state.” Trips to tournaments are always one of the highlights of the school year for choir members.
Wigboldy also adds, “The most fun part about Vocal Ensemble is the family that you become after being with the same people ever since Concert Choir freshman year. So you have your sophomore and junior best friends and the tight-knit senior group. It’s a big community and that’s what I love about it.”
Other music programs at Bellarmine offer the same sense of unity and fellowship shared by the members of Vocal Ensemble. “There are a lot of people like Sarah Khan that make orchestra so fun,” said senior Molly Turner. “It’s very lax and chill and the trips are always fun.” Orchestra gives Turner the freedom to play her instrument as well as have a good time with other students who share her passion for playing.
Junior Steve Hogan said, “Chamber Orchestra is a great way for people to work together. I mean, there’ve been a lot of studies that show that music makes people smarter. And Mr. Lewis is super chill; he’s the best. You can do All-State and Solo Ensemble through Chamber Orchestra which is great. What else can I say? It’s pretty great.”
Music is all around the campus, from the anthemic beat of the marching band at football games to the harmony of the choir and orchestra at all-school Masses. These musicians deserve accolades for their ongoing commitment to the school and its rhythmic spirit