Breakfast Club Serving Up Fall Fashion

Photo courtesy of Sophie Shaw
Photo courtesy of Sophie Shaw

BY: Sophie Shaw

Like The Breakfast Club, the fall 2014 fashion trends are embodied by an eclectic mix of characters.

Removed from the 1980’s, the Princess, the Jock, the Rebel, the Geek, and even the Basket Case, find themselves taking on modern trends inspired by a variety of time periods and new fashions.

Bright and bold, the ‘60s are back and influencing silhouettes, textiles, and prints. The modern-day Claire Standish, who is categorized as the popular girl obsessed with shopping, would sport the tea length skirts, A-line dresses, and geometric prints to fit her feminine style.

The sporty trend hints at its athleticism through tailored track pants, mesh tops and dresses, and revamped sneakers. The pared-down and casual look exudes an air of simple comfort.

The Rebel is fashionably represented through the futuristic, post-apocalyptic trend. The part grunge and part survivor style of distressed and shredded everything, leather accents, and combat boots, makes up the dark future look.

Contrasting the Rebel look, pleated skirts and knee high socks have made their way into the mainstream again as part of a geek-chic trend. Plaid prevails as the pattern to identify the preppy clothing.

While the “Basket Case” may not be a desirable moniker, the style of oversized sweaters and layering pieces she wears has become quite popular. It’s a new grunge style that has readapted the old flannels, band tees, and denim of the 90’s.

Now that fall fashion has brought the Breakfast Club’s looks back into vogue, the trends are visible on Bellarmine’s campus.

“The grunge look is pretty prevalent [on campus],” said sophomore Miranda White. “Doc Martin’s and Brandy Melville are popular brands that are grunge-y.”

Junior Mina DeGuia also said that there is a lot of grunge on campus. “It’s comfortable and warm, and has a lot of dark colors which is good for fall,” DeGuia said.

But do these trends apply to guys’ fashion? When asked whether he pays attention to trends or not senior Elliot Gardner said, “It’s not about the trend; it’s about looking good at all times.”

Each trend is not confined to itself, however. The labels describe a broad identifiable look that can be personalized, or mixed and matched.

In the Breakfast Club the characters learned from each other and became friends. And what do friends do? They share clothes.