The student news site of Bellarmine Preparatory School

The Bellarmine Prep Lion

The Bellarmine Prep Lion

The Bellarmine Prep Lion

Mugleston moves on

Students may know him as one of the “Physics dudes,” as “Brian,” or as the youngest teacher on our faculty staff. That’s right folks; it’s Brian Mugleston. After graduating from Curtis High School in 2003, Mugleston, the sixth of seven children, pursued an education at Brigham Young University in Utah. He majored in Neuroscience and hoped to pursue medicine. However, in the process of applying to medical school, Mugleston was also planning to formally marry his fiancé, who at the time was active in the army. At the end of the day, Mugleston chose to support his wife’s career goals rather than attending medical school.
In an attempt to find a career besides medicine, Mugleston was at first interested in public school education. Fortunately, however, Mugleston heard about a job opening at Bellarmine Preparatory School from Anita Emery, a board member of the Professional Educators Advisory Board (PEAB) and a teacher here at Bellarmine.

After landing the job as a physics teacher at Bellarmine, Mugleston immediately got to know students through Senior Pilgrimage, RASH and clubs. He has built relationships with faculty, staff, students and his community period.

Principal Chris Gavin said, “After watching Mr. Mugleston perform at Senior Pilgrimage, and hearing his voice, it was evident that he easily connected with kids.” Recently, however, there has been a rumor that Mugleston will be saying his goodbyes at the end of this year as he pursues medical school.
Mugleston said, “You know, since my wife’s military time is ending, and since I worked so hard in school with the idea that I would move on to medical school, it only seems reasonable to at least give it a shot…even though I’ll miss Bellarmine, of course.”

Reflecting on Mugleston’s time here at Bellarmine, Gavin said, “Mr. Mugleston, like any other teacher, hoped to be a great instructor when he started. What made him particularly unique was that he worked; he worked to be a great teacher. He interacted, asked questions and, in my opinion, gained ambition and motivation from his age. I think it’s healthy that he was so eager to become a great teacher.”

Earlier this fall, Mugleston applied to five well-ranked medical schools. At the moment, he is unsure of which school he will pursue, but is greatly considering San Antonio University. Mugleston said, “As soon as I get grades in at the end of the year my wife and I are heading to San Antonio with a quick stop at Yellowstone.”

Although Mugleston’s upcoming plans are excellent and exciting, Bellarmine faculty, staff and students will miss him. When asked what he’ll miss most about Bellarmine, Mugleston said, “Definitely the fantastic kids.” Junior Noelle Jacobs, who is one of Mugleston’s CP students said, “He is probably the most easy-going, fun and humble teacher I’ve ever had. He’s always fun to talk with and he’s always up for anything. Our entire CP is definitely going to miss him.”