Seniors set to present scientific research

Bellarmine seniors who participate in the Marine Chemistry program are all set to present their findings early next month.

Here at Bellarmine, the Marine Chemistry program is celebrating its 29th year of existence. Created by Ron Nilsen in 1984, the Marine Chemistry program has offered incoming freshman the opportunity to partake in a four-year research program, culminating with an oral presentation and a 20-page research paper to be submitted to and presented at various science fairs.

“[Mr. Nilsen] started the program with the idea that we have all these great competitive sports teams, but no extracurricular science program,” said current director Dave DeGroot, “He wanted a research-based program with all the characteristics of a sports team – competitive, passionate, and a time commitment.”

The application process begins with the incoming freshman. Those selected are invited into the program and are expected to dedicate time that summer collecting water samples from Titlow beach and measuring various chemical aspects of the samples to determine the ecosystem’s health. Students are then required to write a research paper on their class’ findings.

While freshman are working away, sophomores in the program are busy becoming certified scuba divers, spending two weekends learning all the ins and outs of open-water and shore diving.

Just when the Marine Chem program starts seeming like all work and no play, the summer after junior year, students get to relax on the sandy beaches of Hawaii, enjoying daily deep-water dives, Polynesian food, and surfing lessons. They return tanned and mentally prepared for the impending workload.

Senior year is the year of the research project. Seniors dedicate countless hours to working, writing, and organizing their thoughts into a 20-page research paper, then presenting their findings in an oral presentation in front of Marine Chem students across all grades.

This year’s seniors will be presenting their projects on December 5th and 12th in the McAstocker Theater.