The student news site of Bellarmine Preparatory School

The Bellarmine Prep Lion

The Bellarmine Prep Lion

The Bellarmine Prep Lion

Redhead of the week

Hailey Maher, Bellarmine’s resident ginger, is the National Redhead of the Week, according to a site completely focused on rarest hair color in the world, howtobearedhead.com. “I am honored to be the Redhead of the week. It is truly a dream come true,” Maher said. Maher has always been proud of her flaming red hair. The doctor’s first words when Maher came out of the womb were, “Oh My God! Look at that red hair!” She loves the old women that stop her on the street to comment on her hair, the stylists who tell her they have people come in the salon everyday asking to be a redhead, and the haters who say gingers don’t have souls. Her red hair makes her feel confident and bold. It inspires her to be an individual. Her hair is one hundred percent natural red, and she has sworn to never dye it. She said, “I’m a redhead for life, and I’ll shout it loud and proud!”

Fun facts about Redheads from Randomhistory.com:

-Only one to two percent of the world population has red hair

– The ancient Greeks believed that redheads would turn into vampires after they died.

-The ginger species is at higher risk for most diseases including skin cancer, Parkinson’s, and Tourettes.

-Red hair does not gray with age. Instead, it turns snow white .

– During the witch hunts of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries in Europe, many women were burned at the stake as witches merely because they had red hair.

-Lilith, the supposed first wife of Adam, is said to have had red hair. She was ultimately kicked out of the Garden of Eden because she refused to be subordinate to Adam

-Because redheads have thicker hair than people with other hair colors, they have fewer strands of hair. For example, while blondes have on average 140,000 hairs, redheads have approximately 90,000.

-Mark Twain once quipped that “while the rest of the human race are descended from monkeys, redheads derive from cats.