Raffle ticket sales replace previous letter campaign

This year, Bellarmine has made some changes to its annual student fundraising project. In years past, they have had a program called Community Caring, in which students write letters to 10 family members or friends, asking for a small donation to the school. That money was then used for the financial aid program for students who need it. Then a couple of months after writing the letters, the school put on an afternoon event, such as a walk around the campus or, as in the case of last year, a carnival.

The student fundraising and alumni offices cite the lack of student engagement and enthusiasm in writing the letters as the main reason for the switch to raffle ticket.

For 2014, Bellarmine implemented a raffle system. Students were required to sell five tickets at $25 each. If each student sold his/her five tickets, the school could make up to $200,000 for financial aid. That money would then be split between ASB and Financial Aid, up to $20,000 and $180,000 respectively. At Bellarmine, roughly 36 percent of students are on financial aid.

As of March 25, the amount raised was $140,000.

Bellarmine students had mixed reactions to the new system. “I’d rather write the letters,” says junior Shelby Burrus, “it’s a little awkward asking people directly for donations for the school.”

Some students feel it is much more difficult to sell tickets than it is to write letters. Senior Daniel LaFalce said, “I think the people who think this up should have to try to do it too.  Might give them an idea of how hard it’s going to be to sell a $25 ticket. Or how annoying it is to beg friends and family for money via an impersonal letter.”

Some students, such as senior Shaun Shiotani think, “It’s not as awkward as asking random people for money.”

Other students, like ninth graders Catherine Moreland, Cameron Sterino, Nico Xitco, were successful in their raffle ticket sales. These students sold 31, 72, and 85 tickets each, respectively.