Alex Cranstoun: man, myth, legend

Alex Cranstoun reads to the student body at the St Robert Bellarmine All School Mass in 2013.  Photo courtesy of Alex Cranstoun
Alex Cranstoun reads to the student body at the St Robert Bellarmine All School Mass in 2013.
Photo courtesy of Alex Cranstoun

By Sara Cho

For every yearbook story told, there are pictures. For every great picture there is a thoughtful photographer behind the lens.

“Yearbook really got me into graphic design and photography,” said senior Alex Cranstoun. “It isn’t just capturing the person [in a photo] but capturing the full essence of the moment. Through yearbook I am able to capture the full essence of the year so when people look back, they are able to think about the fond memories.”
Cranstoun not only works on the covers for the yearbook but also his other photography missions have led him to take some of his favorite pictures from Senior Pilgrimage and recent Confirmations. Cranstoun also has a knack for InDesign as well.

“I started working with InDesign last year during yearbook,” he said “It was hard, but I spent a lot of time with it over the summer and developed a new publication for the city of Covington which I am the editor and publisher for.”
When he is not reading over answers to the yearbook questionnaires or working of his publication for Covington, Cranstoun also allocates time for ASB as the head of Campus Life and Ministry and his duties as Senior Class President.

“For me it was me being able to be a servant leader,” Cranstoun said. “Both Campus Ministry and ASB allows me to do what we {the school} are called to do as a Catholic school in the Jesuit Tradition.”
Cranstoun not only believes in serving the Bellarmine community and beyond but also serving God and following the Jesuit motto ad majorem dei gloriam (Translation: For the greater glory of God.)
“We are called to be these leaders and these people for others. I am able to give back to my community in a greater way than before,” said Cranstoun. “Whenever I see AMDG, I know that what the school is doing is for God’s glory. The Jesuits believe in serving with solidarity and serving in a way to encompass the mission of Christ.”
Faith is an incredibly important aspect in Cranstoun’s life. His faith truly blossomed around the time Cranstoun was in elementary school.

“In third grade, I considered becoming a priest, but that was because I thought the priest was Jesus up until third grade,” Cranstoun said sheepishly.

However, Cranstoun’s relationship with God strengthened after Cranstoun’s dad was diagnosed with cancer in the 5th grade.

“I had to rely a lot on prayer and the people around me to get through that time.” said Cranstoun. “During a prayer session for my dad, I felt this immense feeling of joy and understanding. And that is what faith is to me, an understanding without understanding. It’s believing in something that cannot be fully understood.”

Luckily Cranstoun’s dad survived, but this ultimately strengthened Cranstoun’s faith in God.

Cranstoun has been pondering the idea of the priesthood since the third grade.
“I had the archbishops and teachers telling me to consider [the priesthood],” said Cranstoun. “But if that’s what God wants me to do, then that’s what I’ll do.”

Cranstoun is not only inspired by God and the sacrifice of Christ but members of the Bellarmine community as well.
“A lot of people inspire me,” Cranstoun said. “Ms. Davis is one of those.” He is inspired by “the sacrifice of Christ, the sacrifice of our religious men and women, Mother Teresa, and the teachers who gives their lives for us. The teachers do this out of the love for the students. Cranstoun is inspired by “those with an astounding faith.”
Now, whenever he makes a life changing decision he prays.

“It’s up to God. I discern my life in what God wants me to do,” said Cranstoun. “Before I make a big decision, I pray to God. This is how I ended up running for ASB. I didn’t run for ASB for myself. I ran because I had prayed about it and I decided that it would be the best way for me to give back to the Bellarmine community because they have given me so much. I pray to discern my future. If I am not doing what God wants me to do then what is the point. All should be done for the greater glory of God. “