Is it Gonzaga’s Year?

Gonzaga University has become one of the steadiest college basketball programs in the country. Over the years they have dominated their competition in the West Coast Conference (WCC), winning 13 out of the past 14 regular season championships and 10 out of the past 14 conference tournament championships. The success has followed outside of the conference as well, qualifying for 14 straight NCAA tournaments. But the best finish the Zags have ever recorded is an appearance in the Elite Eight in 1999, begging the question of when it will be the year of the Bulldog?

This could be that year. This season Gonzaga is one of the strongest teams in the country. Currently ranked 2nd in the Associated Press Poll, the Bulldogs are 27-2 and undefeated in WCC play. Primed to receive a 1 seed in the NCAA tournament, Gonzaga is in the best position to win the championship it has ever had.

But what exactly has led to this team achieving so much success so far this season? The Zags have always been a dark horse contender in the tournament, but what makes them a true contender to win it all?

This year the Bulldogs have all the pieces to make a run to the championship. They are led by Mark Few, one of the premier coaches in the country. His knowledge of the game and leadership are enough to put the Zags in prime position for success. And Coach Few has brought in the perfect players for his style.

Starting off in the backcourt the Zags are led by their do-it-all sophomore point guard Kevin Pangos. Pangos, who is averaging 12 points, 3 rebounds, and 3 assists per game, is a dead-eye shooter. He has the ability to take over a game when it is needed, but also runs the offense with maximum efficiency. Joining him in the backcourt is sophomore guard Gary Bell. Bell, a standout from local Kentridge High School, can shoot the lights out just like Pangos. Where Bell does his most damage is on the defensive end, providing lock down perimeter defense for the Bulldogs. Coming off the bench, David Stockton, Kyle Draginis, Drew Barham and Guy Landry Edi provide solid minutes and have the ability to make a positive impact on the game. This puts together one of the most dynamic backcourts in the country.

Then there is the frontcourt. One struggles to find a flaw with the Gonzaga posts. They are led by Player of the Year candidate Kelly Olynyk. The Redshirt junior is having an All-American year, posting 18 points, 7 rebounds, and 1 block per game. He is a load on the post, carving space and getting off shot after shot in the paint. And if the paint is clogged by other big bodies, Olynyk can step outside and drill the 3 pointer. Olynyk dominates, and even if teams slow him down they still have to worry about fellow post Elias Harris. Harris is a 6-8 power forward who uses his all-around game to dominate the paint along with Olynyk. Harris is as solid a player as they come, and like Olynyk and Pangos, has the ability to take over a game. Instant offense is provided by junior Sam Dower off the bench, who can knock down perimeter shots and has the ability to finish at the rim. And freshman 7 footer, Przemek Karnowski, provides even more size and strength off the bench.

Even with all these powerful pieces in place the Bulldogs still need a glue guy to transform them into a championship team. The glue for the Zags is Senior Mike Hart. Hart, a former walk on, does all the dirty work for the team. His statistics are nothing great to look at, but he provides solid defense and great energy on the floor. Whenever Gonzaga needs a key rebound or loose ball, Hart seems to always be the one to come up with it. His work may go unnoticed by most, but he is the key for the Zags to make a tourney run.

This may be the year the Gonzaga faithful get to see their team celebrate as national champions. Only time will tell.