Derb-termined for greatness

Hannah Derby has accomplished in two years what most high school athletes only dream of. Only a junior, Derby has won state championships in the Girls 400 meter and 4-by-400 meter relay back to back years. The Bellarmine school record holder recorded a 55.51 second 400m her sophomore year, shaving nearly a full second off her 56.41 second performance as a freshman. As an anchor of the 4-by-400 team, Derby, along with Daryl Phil, Miranda Ross and Larisa Robic recorded a 3:51.85 which stands alone as the Bellarmine school record.

Derby is already one of the most decorated athletes to walk the halls of Bellarmine Prep. In the 400m and with her team in the 400m relay, she is favored to bring home state titles for the third time in a row. Derby is primed to have her best season yet, and the future is very bright for the young track star.

I had the privilege of interviewing the aspiring young runner, Hannah Derby.

What inspired you to start running track?

“Well, when I played soccer as a young child, I was always the fastest on the team. I decided to give running a try and see if my speed from soccer would translate over to the track. It ended up being one of the greatest decisions of my life.”

How does it feel to be defending state champion in two separate events?

“I feel very blessed to have had the opportunity to compete at such a high level and have success. My coaches and teammates have pushed me to further develop my skills as a runner. If it weren’t for my phenomenal teammates, all this wouldn’t be possible. I’m very proud of my accomplishments, but am looking forward to the future and what it holds.”

What kind of training do you put in to be so successful?

“A lot. (laughs) I run nearly every day with my teammates in order to stay in shape. Our coaches push us hard during the season. They fine-tune every aspect  in order to give us the best chance to be successful. It’s a lot of hard work, but it is definitely worth it.”

In what ways has running opened new doors for you?

“All my closest friends are also my teammates. Running has helped me develop so many meaningful and lasting relationships. I can’t imagine going through school without them because they are my family. Also, running has opened up new opportunities for college. My accomplishments have blessed me with the opportunity to attend colleges that may have been unattainable before. My goal is to run in college and I hope that one day I am blessed with the opportunity to accomplish this.”

What goes through your mind when your running?

“I am going to die. (laughs) I am only focusing on getting to the finish line. I cannot hear anything and I have no awareness of my competition. I am completely focused on finishing in the quickest time possible.”

People say you have a glaring stare and focused look during cross country. Does this look translate over to the track?

“No my face is much worse for track. (laughs) It’s kind of gross and scary. I mean, everybody’s face is crazy when they’re running. All your focus is on finishing the race, so it doesn’t matter what you look like.”

With the potential for you and your team being through the roof, are you guys feeling the pressure of high expectations?

“Absolutely. I can only hope that the work we put in pays off. But I feel that the more pressure that we feel the more focused we will be on our goal. In the past, the more nervous we have been before a race the better we have performed. We’re excited and nervous at the same time for the future. It’s going to be a fun one.”