Baseball team reaches home plate

Bellarmine baseball definitely had a year to remember. Although they did not win league, they improved, from finishing 5th in 2012 to 3rd in league in 2013. Led by 9 seniors, the Lions’ bats came alive in the beginning of the season, and started 11-3.

When asked about the sizzling start senior, George Foley said; “We were very excited to have such a great start and were very happy about the position we put ourselves in for the future. Our offense seemed to be unstoppable for this 14 game span.”

Despite the hot start, the Lions’ bats cooled down and ended the season 12-9.
However, the Lions shouldn’t hang their heads. Seniors Nathan Heath and Foley and juniors Brandon Thompson and Harry Stenberg made Narrows league first team while senior Michael Ota made second team.
When asked about his thoughts on making first team Heath said, “I was surprised when I was told I got the award, but happy to see that all my work in the summer and offseason paid off.”

Not only did they send four people to first and second team honors, but they are also sending four players off to play in college. Heath and Matthew Jacobsen will continue to contribute their great speed and power at Skagit Valley Community College in Mt. Vernon, WA. Foley will be contributing his great hitting and fielding skills at Pierce Community College in Lakewood, WA. Ota will be contributing his great catching and power at Pacific Lutheran University in Parkland, WA.

Jacobsen is exhilarated about playing in college, and said; “I’m beyond excited to have the opportunity to play baseball at the collegiate level. Even though I never saw myself going to a community college after high school, I think it is the best thing that could have happened to me. I’m excited to see what the future brings and where all of my teammates and I end up after the next few years. I am so grateful for my coaches here at Bellarmine and am so excited to continue to play with Nathan next year at Skagit Valley.”

Finishing 3rd in the Narrows League, sending five people to Narrows League first and second team, and sending four people to play in college, the Lions definitely had a great season, and one they will not soon forget.