Olympian inspires school

Bellarmine’s hallways were buzzing with excitement and curiosity on the morning of Oct. 1. Students were patiently awaiting the special guest that would be speaking at the assembly later in the day. His posters hung from classroom doors, and teachers had been avidly reading his book the week prior. However, there still seemed to be an air of mystery as to who he was or why he was visiting Bellarmine.

Lopez Lomong, a 27year-old Southern Sudan native and a two time Olympian, was the much anticipated guest. Since the 2012 Olympics, he has been touring the country promoting his book, “Running for My Life”. He also visited the White House and met President Obama. On Oct. 1, Lomong was invited to speak to the World Vision staff on their annual Day of Prayer. Steve Haas, a World Vision staff member and Bellarmine parent, interviewed him at the event, and then invited him to come to Bellarmine. Thanks to Haas, students and staff were fortunate enough to hear about ,and be inspired by Lopez Lomong’s wonderful foundation and his incredible life story.

At the age of six, Lopez Lomong was captured by rebel soldiers from the Sudan People’s Liberation Army to become a child soldier. He escaped with three older boys, otherwise known as his angels, to a Kenyan refugee camp where he spent the next ten years of his life. When he was 16, he wrote a letter to Catholic Charities explaining what he would do if he were to come to America. The Catholic Charities were extremely inspired by his letter and made him one of the Lost Boys of the Sudan and sent him to America. He was then adopted by an American family and acclimated to surroundings that were very different from the home he knew in Africa. He learned English quickly, became a star high school cross country runner, and then a talented track athlete at Northern Arizona University. This success led to Olympic aspirations, and because of his perseverance, he was able to achieve this goal only a few years later. He became a successful 1500, 3,000 and 5,000 meter runner and was a competitor and flag bearer at the 2008 Olympics. Most recently, he ran the 5,000 in the 2012 summer Olympics placing tenth overall and making his country proud.
I had the privilege, as part of both The Lion newspaper staff and the Bellarmine cross country team, to interview Lopez Lomong himself.

The Lion: What inspired you to come to Bellarmine?
Lopez Lomong: I was speaking to the World Vision staff on October 1st. Steve Haas had told me that he had talked to the coach about coming to the school. Steve and Matt [Ellis] then worked out the details.
The Lion: How many schools are you visiting?
Lopez Lomong: I am only visiting Bellarmine. Then I am going back to Portland. I am going to New York for a 5km the day before the marathon. I will be speaking to some schools in New York during that trip.
The Lion: What inspired you to begin this organization?
Lopez Lomong: I was given an opportunity. Now I am in a position that I can help raise awareness for South Sudan. There are many needs like clean water, health care, and education.
The Lion: How did God help you escape? How did you run for 3 days?
Lopez Lomong: God sent me the three angels. These were the 3 older boys that looked over me after we were taken. They found the hole in the fence and told me to go with them that night. They were the ones that carried me when I couldn’t run or walk. They would also find me food and water as we ran.
The Lion: How did running 30 km a day distract you from hunger?
Lopez Lomong: We ate at midnight and then we would sing some songs and go to bed. We were young boys and wanted to play games, especially soccer. To pick who would play soccer first we would run around the camp. It gave us something to do.
The Lion: Do you still feel like a part of South Sudan?
Lopez Lomong: Yes. My mother and family live in Kenya, but my father still farms land in Sudan. It is a young country that needs much help.
The Lion: Do you have any family from Sudan in the United States?
Lopez Lomong: Yes, I have two brothers. They go to a military academy in Virginia. They are 14 and 15.
The Lion: Do they run?
Lopez Lomong: Yes, They are getting quite good.