The student news site of Bellarmine Preparatory School

The Bellarmine Prep Lion

The Bellarmine Prep Lion

The Bellarmine Prep Lion

‘Taken 2’: an insult to the first ‘Taken’ film

It’s hard to tell when a movie becomes a classic. One may hate a film on first viewing, but after a couple times through it, its hidden attributes may come into focus. Maybe you enjoy it the first time around, but, again, after multiple viewings you’ll love it on a whole new level. That didn’t happen with the first “Taken.”
With every scene I watched, each throat punch thrown, each line Neeson growled, I knew “Taken” was going to stand the test of time. Once past the novelty of seeing a character actor like Liam Neeson going Rambo, each element of the film blended together into a classic concoction.
A relentless pace, peppered with witty one-liners and gripping set pieces, all anchored down by an iconic performance by Neeson. “Taken” isn’t just a good movie, it’s one of my favorites.
So when I went to see “Taken 2,” there was almost something personal on the line. I reverently wished the sequel wouldn’t disappoint. But Liam Neeson’s mighty fist punched through my chest and broke my heart.
“Taken 2” is more than a disaster, it’s an insult to its predecessor. Every trait that made “Taken” great is ignored, replaced with an unrelenting love affair with formula.
Most of the movie’s woes come from the replacement of director Pierre Morel. Morel brought the first “Taken” a certain kinetic style, with a gritty authenticity. The new director, Olivier Megaton, is skilled enough, but just isn’t suited for action films.
His camera work acts like a little kid on a sugar rush, never still for more than three seconds. The shots cut too quickly during the fight scenes, never letting the viewer to see Neeson landing a punch. Not that you’d miss much anyway. The action only reaches the heights of “Taken”’s worst scenes.
The most notable problem is the pacing. In Taken, Liam Neeson has but 96 hours to find his daughter. “Taken” began full throttle, and never let up from there. The urgency of his mission propelled the movie forward, and kept one on the edge of your seat.
“Taken 2” takes forever to get nowhere. Most of the film features Neeson wandering around, slowly looking for his wife. When the credits start rolling, you’re still waiting for the action to begin.
But if the movie has one godsend, it’s Liam Neeson. Although nearing AARP age, the 60 year old actor continues his convincing and, frankly, studly performance as Bryan Mills. He holds this shambles of a movie together, and it was him (along with needing a ride home), which kept me from walking out of the theater.
To be honest, “Taken 2” isn’t a terrible movie, compared with the other junk Hollywood puts out. But as a sequel to “Taken,” it utterly fails. If rumors of a third “Taken” are true, I’ll give the producers one last chance to restore the series I so love.