The student news site of Bellarmine Preparatory School

The Bellarmine Prep Lion

The Bellarmine Prep Lion

The Bellarmine Prep Lion

Music review: Benson Boone’s ‘Fireworks and Rollerblades’

Global pop sensation Benson Boone has unleashed his much-anticipated album, “Fireworks and Rollerblades,” onto the world stage. This ambitious project features the chart-topping platinum hit “Beautiful Things,” which has firmly entrenched itself at the summit of the Billboard Global 200 chart for an impressive five consecutive weeks, also peaking at an enviable #2 position on the Billboard Hot 100.

Boone’s soul-stirring anthem, “Beautiful Things,” resonates with deep emotional depth: “I want you, I need you, Oh God, Don’t take, These Beautiful things that I’ve got.”

Drawing parallels to the biblical verse, Psalm 103:13-14, “You make beautiful things out of dust,” Boone’s lyrics transcend mere entertainment, delving into the profound human experience.

While his music may contain undertones of Christian themes, it extends its embrace to listeners of all persuasions. Boone’s ability to forge an emotional connection through his heartfelt lyrics and impassioned performances renders his artistry universally relatable, transcending religious boundaries.

A native of Monroe, Washington, Benson Boone’s journey to musical prominence is as captivating as his melodies. Raised in the heart of Monroe, Boone honed his craft amidst the serene backdrop of the Pacific Northwest. It was during his formative years at Monroe High School that Boone first unveiled his vocal prowess, taking to the stage at the school’s annual Battle of the Bands event during his junior year, despite lacking any prior singing experience.

Behind the glossy facade of pop stardom lies a deeply personal narrative. Boone’s music serves as a reflection of his own struggles with faith and identity. In his own words, “It’s been a while but I’m finding my faith,” a sentiment echoed in “Beautiful Things.” Throughout his repertoire, Boone grapples with the specter of loss, infusing his compositions with a haunting, melancholic undertone that strikes a chord with audiences worldwide.

In “Fireworks and Rollerblades,” Benson Boone delivers a sonic journey that is as introspective as it is infectious. With each track, he invites listeners to explore the intricacies of the human condition, crafting a beautiful musical tapestry.

Benson Boone’s album cover, “Fireworks and Rollerblades,” is lit. Photo courtesy of gomoxie.org

About the Contributor
Gabriella Gade
Gabriella Gade, Reporter

Gabriella Gade is a senior this year who is super excited to be on this ‘23-‘24 Journalism Staff!  At Bellarmine she is involved in cheerleading, Lion Outreach, APICA, FASA, and many more. Outside of school, she trains full time as a competitive figure skater and works at the ice rink.