There’s no place like L’Arche

There’s no place like L’Arche.

Although that is a corny Wizard of Oz reference, there’s nothing corny about L’Arche, except maybe the corn grown there. The L’Arche Tahoma Hope website defines L’Arche as “people, with and without developmental disabilities, sharing life in communities belonging to an international federation. Mutual relationships and trust in God are at the heart of our journey together. We celebrate the unique value of every person and recognize our need for one another.”

There are four homes in which the developmentally disabled, called core members, live: Farmhouse, Anawim, Hopespring, and Ananda. They are accompanied by assistants without disabilities. This combination creates a community like no other.

Jean Vanier, founder of L’Arche, once said, “We have a beautiful vision, a vision to be like yeast in the bread of society, where the weak heal the strong.” This idea seems unique in the modern world, but it holds true at L’Arche. When the sophomores come back after their work day at the farm, they typically say it was fun to help the core members and spend the day doing good. This is a nice thought, but upon spending more time at L’Arche, it is apparent that the core members help the volunteers more than the volunteers help the core members. They are teachers, teachers of hope, gratitude, and love.

On December 7th, the L’Arche community is coming here, to Bellarmine, for a dance. All the core members and assistants will be here from six to nine at night, and Bellarmine students are encouraged to come out and join in the fun. The theme is 60s and 70s, so bring out the costume attire. The music will be classics and throwbacks, and the dancing will be clean and lively. Donations are welcome. Whether you’re a regular volunteer at L’Arche or completely new to the whole thing, come to the dance and give L’Arche a try. It’s sure not to disappoint.