October represents Breast Cancer Awareness Month

October is a time that excites many, with promises of falling leaves, Halloween movies, and costume contests. But it has a deeper meaning for others – those affected by breast cancer.

Breast cancer is known to affect 1 in 8 women in the United States every year. This statistic, provided by Summit Medical Group, leads to the conclusion that 13% of the female population in the U.S., will develop breast cancer in their lifetime. The truth of the matter is, breast cancer affects thousands of women, families, and friends every day and every year.

So what can Bellarmine do to help?

Spread awareness of what this month means to the community. By sharing statistics on social media, starting conversations during lunches and breaks, and taking part in local charities, Bellarmine can help show their support to the survivors and current warriors fighting breast cancer. When reflecting during 4th or 8th period for Examen, take some time to pray for those currently affected think about the challenges they face in this time.

Spread the news about Oct. 26. That evening the Lions will take on Olympia on Memorial Field at 7 p.m. The theme for this game is PINK OUT in honor of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Bellarmine can show support by spreading the word to show up decked out in pink in honor of those fighting.

It takes one minute to pray and honor the deep meaning of this month to many. Bellarmine sees, supports, and cares for those affected by the meaning of this month.

Some faculty/staff members are sporting these pink bands around campus. (Alexis Douglas)

About the Contributor
Alexis Douglas
Alexis Douglas, Reporter

Alexis Douglas is joining the Lion Journalism Staff as a Senior this year. She’s very interested in social justice topics and has previously worked for Lakeside Living, a local magazine. Around campus, you may see her involved in Link Crew, ASB, Outreach, and the Ignatian Global Scholars Program. Off campus, she likes to kickbox, play piano, spar on her Taekwondo team, sing on First Baptist Worship Team, and coach students in self defense tournaments.