How ‘common’ is the CommonApp?

Photo+courtesy+of+the+Common+Application+
Photo courtesy of the Common Application

The countless revisions of supplemental essays, the tedious hours spent researching colleges, and the satisfaction when finally clicking the “submit” button are nearing an end. With most seniors completing Early Action deadlines, the Class of 2024 shares their thoughts on the application process—specifically, the Common App.

The Common App, a program helping more than 1 million students each year apply to college, markets accessibility. It hosts more than 1,000 colleges and universities which Landon Mitchell says is “beneficial.” He continues by stating, “it generally makes you enter the most important information only once.”

Sophia Terry agrees with Mitchell saying that it is easy to fill out: “It is great for first-time college students to figure out how to navigate the confusing world of college in general.”

On the other hand, Terry introduces the cons of the Common App, specifically schools that are not hosted on the application: “Most California schools have separate websites which makes the process more confusing and stressful.” She explains that the Bellarmine counselors have focused on educating students solely on the Common App and students “do not know enough about other application systems.”

Mitchell states that the schools in the Common App ask questions that are often repetitive and would only need to be answered once.

Once the application is submitted, the stress slowly slips away, only to come to a halt. Many schools require separate applications, such as CSS, FAFSA, and SSRAR, which Mitchell believes could be worked into the Common App to reduce the stress of handling it separately. Also, ACT and SAT test scores must be sent separately which could be implemented into the application.

The Class of 2024 are now experts in the application process and share their tips for future students engaging in the application process. Mitchell emphasizes the importance of doing your supplemental essays early: “Once the school year starts, the homework load and applications becomes stressful and getting them done during the summer is the best way to reduce stress. Mitchell continues by stating: Go see your counselors. They are here to help!”

Terry expands on Mitchell’s ideas: “I definitely advise that you start your applications early and so you do not have to worry later on.” She concludes by saying that students “should know that the application process will be stressful and tiresome, but it is so rewarding in the end.”

About the Contributor
Sage Vasko
Sage Vasko, Executive Communications and Media Editor

Sage Vasko is a senior this year who is looking forward to her second year on the Journalism staff! At Bellarmine, she is involved in Link Crew, Lion Outreach, National Honors Society, and is captain of the cheer squad. Some of her pastimes include skiing, reading, hanging out with friends, and playing with her two dogs.