Journalism students win at State

On Saturday, March 9, members of the Lion journalism team traveled to Arlington High School to attend the Washington Journalism Education Association state competition.

Executive Broadcast Producer Betty Roberts won the prestigious Lu Flannery Outstanding Journalist award which includes a $2000 college scholarship.

Junior David Añel, senior Betty Roberts, and senior Ian Stoddard received the Superior ranking for “Video Reporting.” Their submitted broadcast feature was “A deeper dive into the (Dis)associated Student Body.”

Junior Natalie Jones, junior Margeaux Liloc, and senior Ian Stoddard received the Excellent ranking for “Team Project.” Their submitted multimedia package was “Helping hands on the hill: students provide service in the community.”

Thanks to a generous grant from the Neeb Family Foundation, more journalism students will be able to register, attend, and compete at the April 2025 national convention in Seattle, WA.

For more information about these journalism competitions, check out: wjea.org and jea.org 

Natalie Jones, Margeaux Liloc, and Betty Roberts are all smiles on March 9 in Arlington, WA. (Jeanne Hanigan)

About the Contributors
Lion Staff
Lion Staff, Writer
The Lion staff loves to fill in and write about anything Bellarmine Prep-related.
Jeanne Hanigan
Jeanne Hanigan, Teacher/Adviser
Jeanne (Dressel) Hanigan B'84 practices what she preaches or, in this case, what she teaches. An English literature, AP Composition and Journalism teacher at Bellarmine Prep, she is also the founder of the online venue, www.writesociety.com, a website which celebrates strong and creative prose. She continues to love her newspaper staff, as long as they meet their deadlines and fill the snack jar.