Lions C-Team football seeks a victory down in Olympia against the Bears

Bellarmine C-Team Defeats Olympia 21-6 on Mon Oct. 27. (Photo Courtesy of Erin Behkne)
Bellarmine C-Team defeats Olympia 21-6 on Mon Oct. 27. (Photo by of Erin Behnke)

By Jeanne Hanigan

On Monday, Oct. 27, the Bellarmine Lions’ football team faces the Bears in Olympia at 4 p.m. No, it is not a repeat of Friday’s game which resulted in a 21-14 Bellarmine loss. Rather, it is the C, or freshmen, team that will go against the Olympia C-team at Ingersoll Stadium. The 9th grade Lions’ 6-1 record is impressive, with their only loss to the Lincoln Abes. The freshmen Lions’ last game against the Bears could prove challenging and make for an intense game.

As the younger Lions wrap up their season this week, their 40-person roster enables more experienced as well as novice players to enjoy and learn the game. Led by seasoned coaches, the consistent inspiration comes from Fr. Gerry Chapdelaine, S.J. Chapdelaine encourages all the players, regardless of football ability and knowledge, to compete and perform for a greater purpose beyond victory.

“I just love these guys,” Chapdelaine said. “I love that they are bonding with one another on the field, in the classroom and outside of the school.”

New to football this year, Sam Sessler would concur with his head coach. Sessler has found success as a teammate and as a kicker. “My favorite part of football is how your teammates are always there for you no matter what happens on the field. Even if you mess up on a game-winning opportunity, your team always has your back.”

The families have bonded, too. Led by parent Jen Llanes, whose son Bronson Torres plays cornerback, many of the mothers supply pre-and post-game fuel . Each game, Llanes galvanizes the families. Her most recent email last Friday encouraged the fans. “Let’s cheer our team on Monday! The Oly ‘C’ team is undefeated. Remind everyone of our last game and have them support the boys.”

Other parents contribute in other ways. Chris Brown, whose son Christian plays linebacker and running back, videotapes all the games. Erin Behnke, mother of Sam, another linebacker and also tight end, takes action photos.

Some of these young men have played for various local youth tackle football programs, including the Lions Youth Football Club, the same program that Lions’ standout and now Colorado quarterback, Sefo Liufau (B’13), played for before Bellarmine. Many have played tackle together since 3rd grade. Four of the boys have won 6 youth football championships together. Needless to say, all the players hope to continue the winning trajectory as they play for the blue and white together during the next 3 years.

But, first, the younger Lions hope to avenge the varsity role models and beat Olympia down on their own turf on Monday afternoon. And with the vast village that supports them, they may just do so.

Cheerleaders and Seahawks Blitz join Fr. Gerry Chapdelaine, S.J. and three C-team football players who have played and won together since 3rd grade. Photo by Jeanne Hanigan

About the Contributor
Jeanne Hanigan
Jeanne Hanigan, Teacher/Adviser
Jeanne (Dressel) Hanigan B'84 practices what she preaches or, in this case, what she teaches. An English literature, AP Composition and Journalism teacher at Bellarmine Prep, she is also the founder of the online venue, www.writesociety.com, a website which celebrates strong and creative prose. She continues to love her newspaper staff, as long as they meet their deadlines and fill the snack jar.