A season of firsts: Bellarmine’s inaugural girls flag football begins

The Seattle Seahawks have funded $117,000 to high schools across the state of Washington to promote the start of girls flag football teams at our local high schools.

Over 30 high schools have received flag football equipment from USA football and jerseys sponsored by Nike.

Currently, there are 64 Washington state high schools that have a girls flag football team, with the WIAA’s (Washington Interscholastic Activities Association) hope for eventually making girls flag football a recognized state sanctioned sport.

This generous funding from the Seattle Seahawks Charitable Foundation along with a donation from the Cowlitz Tribal foundation has ultimately allowed for the formation of girls flag football in high schools all around the state.

Bellarmine, has embraced this newly introduced sport with enthusiasm. The school’s girls flag football team is composed of 22 dedicated players under the coaching leadership of Sady Oandasan along with captains Jayden Pulu, Jayla Mosley, Alexis Douglas, Ava Hentschell, and Ariana Randquist.

On December 1, Bellarmine’s flag football team participated in an inaugural SPSL 4A flag football jamboree with combine events for players to showcase their skills.

The jamboree had a total of 210 SPSL athletes participating in a total of nine combine events.

The jamboree marked a historic moment for Bellarmine’s girls flag football partaking in the schools first ever girls flag football event. Bellarmine’s girls flag football demonstrated their commitment and passion for the sport while representing aspiring female athletes in flag football.

Starting quarterback, Jayden Pulu, shares her excitement for the season: “You could tell we were super excited and hype, and that was the type of energy we wanted to bring on the field.”

Pulu also acknowledges the nervousness associated with the debut of Bellarmine’s first ever girls flag football team but with the unwavering support of teammates Pulu expresses “the support behind these girls has made it seem more like a family bond.”

Through the bond forged over the previous weeks, the support shown by faculty/staff and teammates have allowed for this first ever experience for players to be easier.

Alexis Douglas, defensive captain for the girls flag football team, shares her insights into the rewards of being a crucial part of this journey: “I feel like it is always hard to step into something unknown, especially something never done before at Bellarmine. But the BPS flag football team goes to show that taking one small chance on something new can lead to something truly exciting and life changing. Although, I am excited to continue to support the team and see how this league develops over time in the Bellarmine community.”

Douglas shares some of the challenges surrounding these experiences, but despite these uncertainties she is excited to see the development of female athletes represented in flag football.

Players are finding this first-ever experience to be nothing short of a blessing, as shown through captain Ava Hentschell’s reflection: “I find it a blessing that our school is allowing us to be a part of this experience.”

Hentschell also states her hopes and aspirations for the season: “I hope this year we win games, work together, create a community, and make history for future generations.”

The recent jamboree allowed for a glimpse of the insightful future of girls flag football here at Bellarmine, and as our lady lions adapt to this ever changing environment, the spirit amongst the team highlights the players’ dedication not just as a team, but more importantly as a community of determined female athletes ready to leave their mark.

As Bellarmine pioneers into this journey, the player’s excitement, unity, and drive are crucial to the foundation and shaping the future of girls flag football.

The team’s dedication not only holds the key for their promising success but also ensures an unforgettable season for our lady lions this year.

Check out upcoming games on Instagram @bprepgirlsflagfootball

About the Contributor
Ariana Randquist
Ariana Randquist, Reporter

Ariana Randquist is a junior this year and is super excited to be a part of the Lion’s Journalism staff! She is involved in many clubs at Bellarmine as a member of Lion Outreach, KCC, APICA, co-founder of the Letters for Rose club, Capstone, and more. Her favorite activities include spending quality time with her family and friends, being outdoors, cooking and baking, reading, and listening to music!