The student news site of Bellarmine Preparatory School

The Bellarmine Prep Lion

The Bellarmine Prep Lion

The Bellarmine Prep Lion

Taylor Swift’s “1989 (Taylor’s Version)” vault track rankings

Photo+Courtesy+of+%40taylorswift+on+Instagram+
Photo Courtesy of @taylorswift on Instagram

1) “Is It Over Now? (Taylor’s Version)”

As the last vault song in “1989 (Taylor’s Version),” Swift truly saved the best for last. “Is It Over Now? (Taylor’s Version)” is a danceable pop song that crescendos to a near perfect bridge. Similar to “Out of the Woods (Taylor’s Version),” this song shows the wild emotions surrounding a roller-coaster relationship. Speculation surrounding Swift’s relationship with Harry Styles at the time of the original era makes many fans believe that this song is about him. Most recently in Argentina, during her acoustic section in the “Eras Tour” Swift performed a mashup of both “Out of the Woods (Taylor’s Version)” and “Is It Over Now? (Taylor’s Version).” This performance was one of the first surprise songs to kick off the South American leg of the tour. Now, “Is It Over Now? (Taylor’s Version)” is her eleventh hit single and a well deserved milestone for Swift.

2) “Now That We Don’t Talk (Taylor’s Version)”

“Now That We Don’t Talk (Taylor’s Version)” has a classic “1989” beat to it along with the lyrics. As the shortest vault track on the album, this song is able to convey the feeling of freedom as well as confusion after a breakup. Swift says, “I don’t have to pretend I like acid rock,” to express her feeling of confinement in the relationship as she was not able to tell this person how she truly felt. This song leaves fans motivated and confident walking away from a heartbreaking relationship. “Now That We Don’t Talk(Taylor’s Version)” placed number 2 on Billboard’s Hot 100s just behind “Is It Over Now? (Taylor’s Version)” making it clear that fans truly love this catchy track.

3) “Sl*t! (Taylor’s Version)”

As a classic Taylor Swift love song, “Sl*t! (Taylor’s Version)” has many fans who are in their “Lover era” playing this song on repeat. The song describes the image that people have portrayed of her being in love. Swift is explaining that she is proud to be in love with someone even if the world views her as a sl*t. “And if they call me a sl*t, you know it might be worth it for once,” is the perfect depiction Swift uses to encourage love despite what others think. The song has a perfect combination of an upbeat tempo while still channeling the love struck feeling in listeners.

4) “Say Don’t Go (Taylor’s Version)”

As a classic pop hit, “Say Don’t Go (Taylor’s Version)” executes an addictive chorus that all songs should have. Despite its tempo and lively production, the lyrics present a desperate and sad tone, begging someone to put in the work for a relationship. It presents a similar situation shown in “All You Had To Do Was Stay (Taylor’s Version)” but with more angst. The bridge on this song ends in a brief moment of silence, begging the recipient to care for her. “Say Don’t Go (Taylor’s Version)” is a catchy and heart-wrenching pop song that has all the emotion and production to make a great song.

5) “Suburban Legends (Taylor’s Version)”

Despite its fellow vault tracks, “Suburban Legends (Taylor’s Version)”, does not live up to Swift’s songwriting ability. Often compared by fans to the song “Mastermind”, both songs have similar production. Unfortunately, the masterful lyricism Swift has in “Mastermind” falls short for this vault track. Opening with the lyric “I let I slide like a hose on a slippery plastic summer” creates a confusing and awkward first impression that tempers the rest of the song. Although nowhere near to Swift’s worst vault song, this song lacks the lyricism that creates the love surrounding her popular songs.

About the Contributors
Talia Patel
Talia Patel, Executive Logistics Editor
Talia Patel is a senior for this year’s journalism class. She enjoys listening to music, going on short runs, and hiking. In school, she is a member of Lion Link Crew, Bellarmine’s Marine Chemistry program, and National Honor Society. She is excited to have a great year writing on The Hill!
Maya Deaton
Maya Deaton, Executive Communications and Media Editor

Maya Deaton is a senior who is excited for her second year on Journalism staff. She is involved in Bellarmine athletics and clubs as a member of the cheerleading team, Marine Chemistry, National Honors Society, Lion Outreach, and Letters For Rose. Outside school, she enjoys going swimming with her friends, walking her dog, traveling, hiking, baking, and going to concerts.